“When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.” - Paulo Coelho
Destiny means a predetermined course of events. Destiny is a concept based on the belief that there is a fixed natural order to the cosmos. There’s the old argument to this that goes something along the lines of, “Then why bother?”. I’ve also heard the question, “Whatsa cosmos?”, to which I replied, “the plural for cosmo, made with vodka, triple sec, lime cordial and cranberry juice”.
Though I may not be able to agree with the official meaning of the word “destiny”, I would like to believe that the fixed natural order of the cosmos is largely one of goodness, positivity and happiness, for all mankind. I have great belief in the power of positive thought. Positive thoughts convert into positive feelings, which in turn become positive action. I am, however, only human (occasionally superhuman).
As a human, I sometimes lose my way. Without noticing it, I’ve become surrounded by the most amazing people. I attribute meeting these people to positive thought. It has been these amazing people who have helped get me back on track when I do lose my direction. They listen, advise, brainstorm with me or laugh at me. They are the family I have chosen and they help keep me sane and balanced.
I had a point to all this. What was it?! Hmmm… Ah yes! My life at the moment is proving particular challenging. My courage and willingness to change are being tested. Though I feel ready for the challenge, I occasionally have doubts about the decisions I’m making.
Here’s where I get human, and lost… Am I seeing the real challenges or subconsciously choosing challenges that won’t cause conflict and hurt someone? Am I interpreting my messages from the universe correctly? If I get this wrong, I worry that I’ll be screwed. We’re not talking “which colour shoes should I wear today, universe?”, where at worst I’d get some funny looks and chuckles for getting it wrong. We’re talking serious, life changing decisions.
I may have figured out an answer to these questions I ask myself: If I open my mind enough to hear, I will interpret my universal messages clearly. I know I’m on the right path when I can look inside myself and not lie to the “me” shining inside. When I can be completely at ease and happy about the choices I’ve made and the way I’ve responded to the challenges presented to me, then I am doing something right.
It makes sense, doesn’t it? I figured it out after spending some time with a friend of mine, who I seem to share a telepathic link with. (We also share a love of parrots.)
As for destiny, I think my destiny might be ever-changing, dependant on my state of mind. I know my state of mind determines the type of energies I attract towards myself at particular moments in my life. Hence state of mind influences destiny? I believe there’s some truth to that.
I believe we all have the power to influence our ‘”predetermined future”. Nothing is written in stone except for birth and death. Every minute in between is yours to live a good life. I used to think I didn’t deserve a good life, and that bad things happened to me because I deserved them. Lately I realise that my Creator has only ever wanted the best life for me, and all I have to do is open myself up to it and believe. It’s that simple.
I find myself occasionally preparing to fill my newly freed positive spaces with old negativities. It seems my current state of mind is here to stay, and talks me out of riddling myself with all that old baggage. My friend family helps keep the demons at bay too.
It’s only recently I’ve become quite so “grown-up”. I was a wild child until just three years ago, living life by sheer emotion. I was indignant…fiery… passionate…reckless…wild. It’s still there, lurking just below the surface. It’ll always be a part of me. I’ve learnt to channel those energies or risk spontaneous combustion.
Some days it would seem that I have fully evolved into a woman of substance. How bizarre!
The Paulo Coelho quote I referenced at the beginning of writing this post is one that resonates with me and where I’m at in my life right now. I will love who I am, with all my imperfections and contradictions. I’m going to face my challenges with courage. I am ready. I will only look to the past to remind myself of the lessons I have learnt. I will keep moving forward. I will love the people that come into my life, for however long they are there, knowing that they are with me in the now, and remembering that tomorrow may never come.
This doesn't seem remotely dysfunctional. I think that every day is an opportunity to redefine our destiny, to reaffirm our commitment to being the best we can can be. Somewhere in this is happiness- joy being a longstanding byproduct of the synergistic matrix of purpose.
ReplyDeleteI was once described as a swan. All elegant, graceful and sophisticated on the surface of the water, but underneath...
ReplyDeleteEveryday is a new beginning. I like that.